Wednesday, June 10, 2020

On Worldstate and Worldview

there is a large part of me that is very cynical. everyone is going around saying the right things and all that but if people always believed what they're protesting about or saying now, why did we ever have a problem? I have to believe that George Floyd's death made some people realize what struggles POC have had and they now want to fight for it, but how long will it last? how long till people go back to their day to day lives and forget Mr. Floyd, BLM, and all that is going on right now? People are so reactionary that I’m scared that any immediate change will eventually be worse for POC, or worse than that, will be used against POC in some way in the future. Specifically, radical changes like abolishing or even defunding the police scare me to that end.  And just to put it out there, that's not to say that I agree with police, what they've become, or how they operate. Change definitely needs to occur on that front.

Coupled with that, the focus has been so much on black people specifically that I worry about other under-represented groups. Not just racially, but socially. LGBTQA for example (it's also pride month). Don't get me wrong... I am an advocate for change, and I am glad people are at least starting to now think about other people's struggles, and I am happy that BLM is now getting traction. A rising tide raises all ships, or whatever. But truth be told, I still don't feel represented or like in the long run the coming change will positively impact all people who have suffered social inequality. But it's hard to help everyone at once. So I get that.

On the subject of race, I have a lot of opinions that come from my very specific experience.  I am a little bit of an anomaly.  I am a descendent of immigrants from Cape Verde, a chain of islands off the coast of Senegal (which is in Africa). My formative years were spent in Fairfield, CT, one of the most affluent (and white) towns in Connecticut. I am, by definition, African American. But the thing is, Cape Verde was a Portuguese colony up until the 70s so calling it an African island is a bit misleading. What it has always felt like is I’m not black, I’m not Portuguese, and I’m certainly not white. Racial identity has always been a struggle for me.

Growing up in predominately white communities, I’ve become very familiar with being the only person of color in a room. It’s hard to say I’m comfortable with it because you never really become comfortable with that kind of thing –  there’s an unspoken expectation of you – but suffice it to say that I’m as comfortable with it as I can be. I’ve learned to “act white” or “talk white” in a way that usually makes me likable to most people in the room.  Indeed, I have been very successful in a “white world.”  But still in the back of my mind, there’s always the questions… did I really succeed? Am I really the best candidate? Is this just affirmative action? I have this memory of when I was applying to college. A rep from Providence College (the college I ended up attending) came to my Prep school and said we have a requirement of a minimum B+ average to attend our school. My GPA was under a B average but I applied anyway as a “stretch school.”  Not only did I get in, but I was offered the Martin Luther King scholarship. How can I say that I actually earned that? How am I supposed to feel anything but the fact that this was affirmative action at work?  Imposter syndrome is real and all I could do is try to live up to the imposter.  I’ve been doing that to this very day.

That’s all a long-winded way of saying I am and have been successful but at what cost? While at PC, I remember a white student who once said, “Jesse is the good kind of black person.”  I’ve been getting shit like that my whole life. Did I sacrifice my blackness to be accepted in white society? Was I even ever really black to begin with? Back in high school I hung out with the one lunch table full of black kids…and I did have corn rows for while…but does that make me black? I’ve always felt outside of the black community, as well as inherently outside of the white community.

Going back to the current world state, I’m glad that people are advocating for change.  The world is unfair and change does need to occur.  But on a personal level, I have never felt connected to the black community. Indeed, I’ve even felt cast out by it for being too “white.” But my skin is brown.  So I’m definitely not a white person either. I am in no way Spanish or Latino so I’ve never fit in there. So where…where do I fit? Again, I am happy that the world is changing, but is it changing enough? Will it ever? How will it improve for people like me? I’m not trying to sound selfish or whatever but I just don’t think my situation will change. And that really leads me down a road of cynicism about the whole movement.

 

Ugh…I could go on about this for pages and pages. But I’m tired of thinking about it.

 

This is fine. Things are fine.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment